View our case studies for an in depth view of installations we have completed for both domestic and commercial installations.
Greenfields Heat and Power Ltd working with you to convert the sun’s energy into free electricity.
Solar electricity systems capture the energy of the sun using photovoltaic, or PV, cells. These cells convert the light energy into electricity, providing an efficient renewable form of electricity. This electricity can be used in the same way as conventionally generated power.
How a Solar Photovoltaic system works
Solar PV panels are mounted on to the roof of a property, preferably south facing. The panels produce energy from daylight – not heat, which is why solar energy works in the often cloudy UK climate. Daylight hitting the photovoltaic cells in the panels is converted into electricity. An inverter then converts the electricity from DC to AC before sending it to the home’s fuse box where it is used to run appliances and lighting.
If the system produces more energy than is required, it’s exported to the National Grid. So, there’s no wastage. If more electricity is needed than is produced, such as during the night, energy is imported from the National Grid. All of this happens automatically and as the homeowner you need not worry about anything. Our systems enable you to easily see what your panels are generating.
Once Greenfields Heat and Power Ltd have installed your Solar Photovoltaic system you will experience a monthly reduction in your electricity bill and then receive an income from your Feed-in tariff provider. If you have taken out a loan to pay for the installation you will have to make monthly repayments to your loan company, feed-in tariffs are designed so that the average monthly income from your installation will be significantly greater than your monthly loan repayment (with a 25 year loan).
The tariffs available and the process for receiving them vary, but all depend on using products and an installer certificated under the MCS scheme
Greenfields Heat and Power Ltd only supply and install MCS certificated products enabling our customers to receive the FIT meaning you benefit in 3 ways:
1. Generation tariff – a set rate paid by the energy supplier for each unit (or kWh) of electricity you generate. This rate will change each year for new entrants to the scheme (except for the first 2 years), but once you join you will continue on the same tariff for 25 years. These rates are index linked and currently tax free.
2. Export tariff – you will receive a further 3p/kWh from your energy supplier for each unit you export back to the electricity grid, that is when it isn’t used on site. Domestic FIT installations are likely to have their export deemed (estimated) at 50% in most cases until smart meters are rolled out.
3. Energy bill savings – you will be making savings on your electricity bills , because generating electricity to power your appliances means you don’t have to buy as much electricity from your energy supplier. The amount you save will vary depending how much of the electricity you use on site.
As an example, for an initial investment of £8,550.00 a typical domestic solar electricity system, with an installation size of 2.7 kWp, assuming an export of 50%, could earn around:
- £1000 per year from the Generation Tariff
- £40 per year from the Export Tariff
- £140 per year reduction in current electricity bills
This gives a total income of around £1,180 per year.
Over the life of the scheme and not taking into account any FIT payment increases due to inflation (the FIT rates are Index linked) the installation would provide a tax free return of £29,500.00. with a ‘pay back’ time of only 7 years.
If you want to save money on your electricity bills and would like to receive a regular tax free payment then contact us today to arrange a free, no obligation survey and quote.